Sunday, September 28, 2008

The finality of the darkness.

[Note: I e-mailed Paul and he said to post the blogs from A Deepness In The Sky here, so here it is].

Some spoilers ahead maybe?


This book was perhaps one of the longest which shouldn't have been. I wonder if there is actually a reason for this, if we were meant to feel the angst and helplessness the Qeng Ho felt; although on my end it just transferred to borement.
That being said I think it had a good plot, it was sound albeit the weird things such as the flying kittens (seriously? Seriously...) and Trixia wanting to be semi-focused.
I think that it had a lot of cliché points, such as the end of Nau in the hands of Qiwi; it was finalized (finally!) and I felt better, but possibly this is the point of Space Opera.

I did enjoy the description of the plants Dr. Ali came up with though, and much of that was well-described; as well as the spiders' world, I thought of them as persons and I believe that is how the author wanted them to be.
I did get a sense of Star Trek while reading some of this book, but it was different even though similar.

Now the localizers, they were certainly a piece of work to come up with, don't they die? I mean don't they get destroyed or are they biomechanical somehow? I kept thinking that as Pham Nuwen seemed to be almost godly with them, also, someone please explain to me the anti-gravity, it was just somehow a part of some material or did it just occur naturally in the planet at a certain place? There are things like these that are fuzzy for me, but I suppose this is not hard sci-fi.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book more towards the end when the wait was FINALLY over and everything unfolded, otherwise I think this book should have been shorter, perhaps it was also so the Spiders could develop, even so I liked this book more than Cosmonaut Keep.

3 comments:

Your Mom said...

I have to agree that this bbok was fur sure better then Cosmaunt Keep.
Agreeing also in that the book had to be shorter, and we didn't need to read every detail of the Spiders growth. Liked the ending it was nice...I lilke the flying Kittys though I pictured them like siold purple, and pink and green and red...LOL It put like this fantsy edge to it.

messenger_of_death said...

The length of this book reminds me of The Count of Monte Cristo, except in that book the length of the story was to lay out every detail of the fall of the main character, his comeback and his vengeance and how the non-enemy characters were involved. However, I have yet to see such a significant reason for DitS to be that long, what gives? I think if this book were made into a movie it would have to be a remade story just to have an acceptable length which means it'll be very different.

The Horns and the Hawk said...

this book did have some creative ideas in it, but it reminded me of fantasy in that they so value their ideas and explanations for wacky technology/magic that they dedicate large amounts of exposition to various technology and magic instead of to the story. where it belongs.