Monday, September 8, 2008

Decent Story

I found this to be a decent story. I liked the Gregory and Elizabeth side of the story better than the other side of things, it was much easier to understand. There was too many acronyms and when the characters would start in on a computer process it felt way to tech savy for a normal person to understand.
With the second story in and of itself the plot line was easy to follow and it gave a clear definition of what you were seeing in your head. There were, however, too many characters and they were not told where they all came from. Sometimes they would just pop up in the middle of a scene or at the end of a scene without any indication that they were there for any part of what was going on.
I did find myself, in some small fashion, loving Elizabeth for her feelings towards Gregory, but I have always been a sucker for a love story. Gregory in his own fashion was like alot of men I have had the pleasure of knowing, falling in and out of love easily. I also liked how the saurs where in a way protecting some of the knowledge that they have, it seemed almost like as the saying goes, too much knowledge in the wrong hands, kind of thing. I loved the fact that the two of them were Biologists, it was wonderful to have a book get into the scientific side of nature, and the world around them.
All in all I believe I would read the rest of the series just to see if the story gets any better or if it continues along the same lines as it left us.

6 comments:

Doctor Tall's sing along blog said...

I can completely understand that. Some of the technical stuff was way over my head as well. These Cairns men seems to be rather odd when it comes to who they love. Able to drop one and pick up another without much of a problem. Maybe people are more inclined to sleep around in the future. Who knows. I do hope that Gregor and Elizabeth stay together through the rest of the stories. I liked them.

messenger_of_death said...

The technical stuff was easy, if you didn't understand it all you had to do was use your imagination to make stuff up for it, it is mostly fiction after all. It's too bad about Lydia, especially considering that it's acceptable in her culture for men to have more than one wife which means whoever she marries she'll have to share and I'm not too crazy about the polygamy thing.

The Horns and the Hawk said...

was the tech savvy stuff at all accurate or real? it all felt like pretend to me. like instad of "spex" it could have been "unicorn powder," and instead of "model" it could have been "gorgon eyes." i guess i mean that it didn't sound real, but that could have added to some of its cumbersome aspects. it's a lot easier to understand how a real car works than a pretend hovercraft, even though they might be the same thing.

Muon Particle said...

No, some of it could be real, I liked the VR references [Virtual Reality], it was better than say, Hackers.

I also liked the Gregor and Elizabeth romance, and I usually don't like romance, period.

I agree about the characters too, but I think that was the author's way to see if you were paying attention, I had to go back and remember people which was a bit annoying but it got me to understand the book a bit better.

Mighty Pirate said...

It was so bizarre that the super advanced world of Gregor was much easier to get into then the near future of Matt. I guess it really was the complete lack of technical jargon, even though their technology available was equivalent to if not more advanced than the schematics that everyone apparently wanted to kill Matt for. It's like, sure we're surrounded by scientific miracles but who cares, really?

anniezilla said...

I feel so in the minority for liking Matt's story so much. I know that the author's political opinions sort of bashed you on the head a lot more in that storyline but I found it a lot more visceral. To each their own I guess.