Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Alan Lorditch's the story so far

From the first 100 pages I can see that the author had many ideas for this book and couldn't decide on a space opera or a cyber punk so he made it both. I think it was pretty clever the way he got his sci fi sub-genre fixes by having the story periodically switch between the mid-21st century(Matt Cairns) and who knows when(Gregor Cairns)
Also the idea of pot smoking dinosaurs is probably the most whimsical concept I have ever seen in a sci-fi book. The idea of dinosaurs and other now extinct critters existing in Gregor's world is pretty cool even if scientifically unlikely.
I also like the idea of Krakens piloting ships awesome (hi-ho Kraken!!)
The thought of the reds taking over Europe is kind of unpleasant though, as is the thought of the U.S. still being dependant on oil.

3 comments:

King Steve said...

I'm sure I'd agree with you if I had any BLOODY IDEA what either of those terms were. Forgive, but this really is driving me crazy. I mean what in God's name is cyber punk and space opera? You people have been throwing these terms around since I've started this class but no one has stopped to fill a guy like me in. Sure I could look it up or whatnot but... Hey, crazy isn't so bad.

messenger_of_death said...

Macleod may be predicting a possible future here, a world war centered around oil dependancy. All the more reason to get a different energy source. Pot-smoking dinos is a whimsical idea, but I will find a way to outdo him, oh yes, I will.

Mighty Pirate said...

Well the mental capacity of cephalopods is pretty off the charts. Coordinating all those limbs take quite a lot of intellectual prowess. That possible future thing is a common element in the cyberpunk genre and many of them are unpleasant. It's very uncomfortable because the world he describes doesn't even seem that unlikely.