Sunday, September 7, 2008

The End,

Well, I have to say I enjoyed the rest of this book, it was able to draw me into it to wonder what was going on with every single one of the characters, after I figured out that Gregor and Matt were distant relatives it was also much more enjoyable.

I actually found myself rooting for Gregor and Elizabeth, which is not something I usually do, since the romance is sort of secondary to me usually; this time I was able to follow it. One thing I still don't really get is how the Krakens piloted the spaceships? Would anyone care to explain? I mean the picture on the cover seems sort of interesting but that was a bit confusing for me.

The whole political issue was true to life in my opinion, the Commies vs. Yanks is a sad but true reality even in that future. I also liked the quiet tension that build up while Salasso was in trouble; it was almost too civilized for saurs, I almost expected to see some fighting, but it would have gone against their own quiet nature, even so I appreciated that the author also had them insulting humans, they're not perfect after all.

I would actually like to know more of what happened in Matt's life and it would have been nice to see how they actually managed to survive after the jump; regardless, I enjoyed the book better than the first hundred pages, I am not sure what that translates to, if it's "hey the beginning sucked but the end was decent" or something along those lines, I think the first third was bad but the other two-thirds made up for it.

And those are my opinions, it's not Ender's Game or The Foundation, but it was new and I like reading new things :D.

2 comments:

messenger_of_death said...

I am glad to hear that the end is worth all the sleep I've been missing for it, can't wait to get there.

The Horns and the Hawk said...

i hear you on the matt part. i think i would almost prefer the first book in this series be about matt. matt gets plans, goes to america, goes to space station, jumps somewhere, has unending life, and then maybe it just follow his mental states as he descends into the paranoid wreck that we saw on mingulay.